Sunday 2 March 2014

Glorified housekeeper??

I recently heard a comment made that CCA workers are nothing more then glorified housekeepers.. So this is what my rant is about today.. I want to take you on a walk though a day in the life of a CCA worker and you decide for yourself if they are glorified housekeepers.
A CCA works 12 hours of rotating shifts.. Most times working short staffed..let's take today for example.. They were down a total of five staff members.. The staff that have worked all day are now going to be putting in 16 hours instead of 12.. 
  Approxmiemently 80% of the clients are in wheelchairs , not up walking around. This means they have to use a mechanical lift to get them in and out of bed. 
They do all of their daily living activities, which include, bathing, dressing, brushing their teeth, combing their hair etc. They serve them their meals, and feed the ones who can no longer feed themselves.

As a CCA they are also required to report on clients falls and near near misses, clients aggression, changes in clients, clients appointments, and any other info that might impact the care and safety of the client. 
They do inventory, replenish charts, thin charts, label clothing, set tables, clean wheelchairs and walkers, do hourly checks on clients whereabouts, do recreation, sanitize equipment, do laundry. They also change adult briefs full of urine, and bowel movements. They get slapped, pinched, clawed, yelled at, spit on and bitten. 
At the same time :
They care for people who can not care for themself anymore.. They are their family when their own family is not there.. They are a friend, they listen to their stories, they hold their hand when they are scared, they comfort them when they are at the last stages of life. To me this is not a glorified housekeeper. This is a CCA so please do not judge me for I look after your family when you're  not there. 

8 comments:

  1. Amen, I worked in a nursing home years ago and you are so right no one really knows what is really done......great article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Diane! As you well remember, I spent 6 months, day and night at "your" nursing home and I observed you as well as your co-workers during that time. I COULD not and WOULD not do what you do! BUT, thank GOD for those of you who DO! There is a LOT more involved than what "meets the eye" and unless someone has seen it OR done it FIRST HAND, they should NOT open their mouth and prove how IGNORANT they really are!
    I don't mind Thanking you (and your co-workers) for all that you did for "us".
    Thank You again!
    ♥ Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget, you aid the nurses in your observations and assessments. You are our eyes and ears, often brining matters to our attention that we might of otherwise ,missed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could not have said it better myself.. the other sad thing is, when they are short staffed.. half the time staffing don't even call for replacements as I was off all day and my phone never rang once :( being short staffed is too common an occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Could not have said it better myself.. the other sad thing is, when they are short staffed.. half the time staffing don't even call for replacements as I was off all day and my phone never rang once :( being short staffed is too common an occurrence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sheila Streatch3 March 2014 at 11:13

    Awesome job Diane and one other thing we are expected to clean the clients rooms as well as there not enough time in a 12 hour shift to do all we are expected to do

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a slap in the face.. Tell me who said it, tell me so I can send her or him a little message.. I became a CCA when I moved to Nova Scotia, from my time working in hospitals in Ontario as a ward clerk we would never look down upon a PSW (classified same as a CCA in NS) we worked long side by side each other, I treated and as well was treated equal.. As the Chief of staff in emerg, the RN the physio Therapist, the lab tech the list continues, when I became a CCA at shannex I felt we were looked down up so bad it made me sick, for almost 4 years I worked, there, never took a sick day if so it was one once a year, never a complaint against me loved the paitents as they were my own, how many mothers and fathers did I loose and weep for them.. We were told often not too get close, how could you not.. I was at work more than I was at home.. I loved the residents.. Please don't take it the wrong way but I felt like we meant nothing to the nursing homes, but to tell you the truth I didn't care about the people who thought this, because I loved my residents and my co-workers nurses included.. I am now in Ottawa and too worried about working in a nursing home because I do not want the stress of what went on in NS.. But someone told me do not let one home determine where you go next, this is your calling and you were meant to do this. I love you Diane and go in there and show them.. We are the best crew around. xo

    Rita

    ReplyDelete

Be Seen

Safety gear for running in the dark. As the fall and winter is fast approaching it is getting darker earlier, so thought I'd cover some ...